REORGANIZATION: DEPARTMENT OF STATE, OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY OF STATE
WHEREAS, the Secretary of State is vested by KRS 14.010 as the head of the Department of State; and
WHEREAS, the Secretary of State has been vested by various statutes and constitutional provisions with wide ranging and diverse responsibilities and functions; and
WHEREAS, it is essential that such responsibilities and functions be categorized and assigned for proper implementation; and
WHEREAS,the Secretary of State has internally subdivided the Department of State based upon the responsibilities delegated to it and the functions performed by it; and
WHEREAS, the Secretary of State has requested that the internal structure of the Department of State be fully established by Reorganization Executive Order:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, John Y. Brown, Jr., Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, pursuant to KRS 12.025(1), do hereby order and direct the following reorganization:
(1) The Department of State shall have an Assistant Secretary of State, appointed by and serving on
behalf of the Secretary of State in accordance with the provisions of KRS 14.020.
(2) The Department of State shall have a Principal Assistant appointed by the Secretary of State to serve as a liason between the Department of State and the State Board of Elections, of which the Secretary
serves as Chairman of the Board. The Assistant will oversee the educational programs of the agency,
and will coordinate policies and procedures to assure a more efficient operation of both the Department
of State and the Board of Elections.
(3) The Department of State shall be divided into two divisions, each headed by a Director appointed by
the Secretary of State pursuant to KRS 12.050.
(a) The Division of Administration, which will include the following subdivisions:
(1) Fiscal and Personnel
(2) Public Documents
(3) Special Projects and Commissions
(4) Legal Affairs
(b) The Division of Corporations, which will combine the various duties and responsibilities outlined for
the Office of the Secretary of State by Kentucky Corporation Law.
(4) The Secretary of Finance and the Commissioner of Personnel shall take all steps necessary to implement this Order.