In May 1779 the Virginia General Assembly established a Military District in Kentucky County exclusively for the usage of Revolutionary War Warrants by Virginia veterans, heirs, or assignees.
The Kentucky Military District was located in the area known as “South of Green River.”
In January 2, 1781, the Virginia General Assembly approved a resolution that created a second Military District for Virginia veterans, heirs, or assignees. The area was located
between the Scioto and Little Miami Rivers on the northwest side of the Ohio River. Click here.
This database includes information for Virginia Revolutionary War Warrant numbers 0001.0 through 4627.0. Due to the duplication of warrant numbers by the Virginia Land Office, the index
also includes information for an additional 121 Revolutionary War Warrants. Duplicate warrant numbers are indexed as .1 and .2.
This database also includes scanned images from the Virginia Military Warrants Register. If the warrant was used inside the Kentucky Military District (in whole or in part) to complete
the patenting process, the patent number is identified in the “Authorized” field and the scanned documents are linked. An * at the end of the patent number indicates the veteran’s
warrant is included with the patent file. Patents authorized by Virginia Revolutionary War Warrants in Kentucky are included in the Virginia (VA), Old Kentucky (OK),
and West of Tennessee River Military (WTRM) Patent Series.
If the “Authorized” field states no patents could be located in Kentucky, or if the warrant was partially spent within the Kentucky Military District, researchers are encouraged
to access the Bureau of Land Management website to search for patents authorized by the Revolutionary War warrant in Ohio.
It is also possible the warrant was never used to patent land within the Kentucky or Ohio Military District.